Dental anxiety is often a significant barrier for many patients, keeping them from receiving necessary dental care. This has led to the development of sedation dentistry, a specialized dental service that was designed to ensure patients’ comfort and relaxation during dental procedures. Storts Family Dentistry is proud to offer sedation dentistry in Ardmore, Marietta, and Madill, OK for patients who suffer from dental anxiety or a fear of the dentist. This key service in our dental practice has helped many patients receive the dental care they need. It is proven to be safe for both adults and children.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry involves the administration of sedative medications to dental patients. The purpose of the sedative is to help patients relax during dental procedures. These sedatives can vary in strength, depending on the patient’s anxiety level and the complexity of the dental work. In general, dental sedation will help a patient remain completely calm, allowing the dentist to do all necessary dental work.
Why is Sedation Needed in Dentistry, Especially for Dental Anxiety?
Dental anxiety, a common issue among our patients, can range from mild unease to severe fear and phobia. For these individuals, even routine check-ups can be daunting and frightening. With the use of dental sedation, your Southern Oklahoma dentist can provide you with a solution to help calm your nerves and receive dental care. This ensures you receive a more comfortable and stress-free experience and the necessary dental care you need.
Other Reasons Patients May Need Sedation
Aside from dental anxiety, patients might require sedation dentistry for other reasons, including:
- Strong Gag Reflexes: Many patients simply have a strong gag reflex. It is very hard for dentists to work on patients with an overactive gag reflex. With the use of dental sedation, the patient will relax completely, essentially turning off the gag reflex and allowing the dentist to perform any type of dental service.
- Sensitive Teeth: If you have overly sensitive teeth, then you may find dental procedures painful. Sedation dentistry can help you remain relaxed and pain-free.
- Complex Procedures: Sedation dentistry can simply help patients who require long, complex, or intricate dental procedures. In these cases, using dental sedation will ensure you are comfortable during the whole appointment and that the dentist is efficient. We often use sedation dentistry for many of our restorative dentistry procedures.
Nitrous Oxide: Using “Laughing Gas” to Make Our Patients Comfortable
Nitrous oxide, commonly known as “laughing gas,” is a common form of dental sedation. This mild sedative is administered through a mask that we will place over your nose. It will remain there for the entire dental appointment, allowing you to breathe in the gas and benefit from the effects. Nitrous oxide induces a state of relaxation and euphoria immediately, allowing patients to remain conscious and responsive during the procedure.
What Is It Like for a Patient to Use Nitrous Oxide?
When inhaling nitrous oxide, patients typically experience a warm, tingling sensation. Some patients report that they feel light-headed. The effects are immediate and wear off rapidly after the mask is removed. This means you can resume normal activities, including driving, immediately after the procedure.
Can Children Use Nitrous Oxide for Dental Procedures?
Yes, nitrous oxide is commonly used by children in dental procedures. It’s a safe and effective way to help children remain calm and cooperative during their dental visits. The mild nature of nitrous oxide makes it particularly suitable for pediatric patients, ensuring they have a positive experience at our dental office from an early age.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
- Reduced Anxiety: Sedation dentistry alleviates anxiety and fear, creating a more relaxed atmosphere for both the patient and the dentist.
- Pain Management: Sedatives minimize discomfort, ensuring patients feel little to no pain during procedures.
- Increased Cooperation: Patients are more cooperative under sedation, allowing dentists to perform complex procedures more effectively.
- Time Efficiency: Sedation allows dentists to complete multiple procedures in one session, reducing the number of visits necessary for extensive work.
Risks and Side Effects of Sedation Dentistry
While sedation dentistry is generally safe, there are some potential risks and side effects. These can include dizziness, nausea, and headaches. Patients must disclose their medical history and medications to the dentist to minimize these risks.
Learn About Sedation Dentistry in Southern Oklahoma
Sedation dentistry has changed the lives of many of our patients. They no longer have to stress about going to the dentist, and their oral health is finally on track. If you suffer from dental anxiety, contact Storts Family Dentistry to learn more about sedation dentistry in Ardmore, Marietta, and Madill, OK. You can reach us at (580) 260-3410 or you can request an appointment online.